NO. 207 FIRST SAWMILL IN MARIN COUNTY - This mill was erected by John Reed about 1833-34 on Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio- 'the wood cutting place for the Presidio'-present-day Mill Valley. Reed built the first house in Sausalito and the first ferryboat to ply San Francisco Bay.
Location: Old Mill Park, Throckmorton and Cascade Dr, Mill Valley, plaque located at NW corner of Blithedale Ave and Tower Dr
NO. 210 CAMILO YNITIA ADOBE - Formerly known as "Oldest House North of San Francisco Bay." Reportedly built as a one room adobe in 1776 with the assistance of Lieutenant Bodega's survey party under the King of Spain, further research indicates a more likely two-part construction beginning in 1834. The Camilo Ynitia Adobe is named in recognition of the only U.S. land grant owned and maintained by a Native American in Alta California.
Location: Olompali State Historic Park, 8901 Redwood Hwy, State Hwy 101 (P.M. 24.8), 3.5 mi N of Novato
NO. 220 MISSION SAN RAFAEL ARCÁNGEL - The San Rafael Arcángel Mission, 20th in the chain of the 21 California missions, was established in 1817 by the Franciscan Order. After the 'decree of secularization' in 1834, the buildings gradually fell into ruin. The mission was reconstructed on the original site in 1949.
Location: 5th Ave and A St, San Rafael, plaque is at NE corner Merrydale and Southbound 101, San Pedro Rd offramp
NO. 221 SITE OF THE LIGHTER WHARF AT BOLINAS - This wharf was built in the early 1850s to load lumber on lighters to be floated out to the deeper water near the channel, where it was transferred to seagoing vessels for shipment to San Francisco.
Location: At N end of Bolinas Lagoon at jct of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 170) and Olema-Bolinas Rd, 2 mi N of Bolinas
NO. 222 LIME KILNS - Tradition is that the lime kilns were built by Russian stonemasons and worked by Indians during the Russian occupation of Sonoma County, which began in the spring of 1812. The Russians probably used the lime to whitewash their windmills, farm buildings, granaries, storehouses, and cattle yards, to tan hides, and to manufacture brick and tile.
Location: 300 ft W of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 22.1), 4.2 mi S of Olema
NO. 529 ANGEL ISLAND - In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manual de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station.
Location: Hospital Cove, Angel Island State Park
NO. 552 PIONEER PAPER MILL - The first paper mill on the Pacific Coast was built here in November 1856 by Samuel Penfield Taylor. Using water power and later steam, it was replaced in 1884 by a larger steam-powered mill nearby. This mill, closed by the depression of 1893, was destroyed by fire in 1915.
Location: 1.3 mi inside Samuel P. Taylor State Park, 18 mi W of Hwy 101 off Sir Francis Drake Blvd, County Hwy A104 (P.M. 171), Lagunitas
NO. 630 ST. VINCENT'S SCHOOL FOR BOYS - In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish-born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sisters of Charity in 1855 founded a school that, as St. Vincent's School for Boys, has been maintained and enlarged by successive archbishops of San Francisco.
Location: 0.7 mi E of Hwy 101 on St. Vincent Dr, 4 mi N of San Rafael
NO. 679 HOME OF LORD CHARLES SNOWDEN FAIRFAX - The home of 'Lord' Charles Snowden Fairfax, pioneer and political leader of the 1850s, who served California as an Assemblyman (1853), Speaker of Assembly (1854), and Clerk of the State Supreme Court (1856). A descendant of Scottish barons of the Cameron Fairfax family of Virginia, Fairfax was involved in the last of California's historic political duels as host to the principals and friend of the two antagonists.
Location: Marin Town and Country Club, one block S of intersection of Pastori Ave and Belmont Ave, Fairfax
NO. 917 GREEN BRAE BRICK KILN - This brick kiln on the San Quentin Peninsula is the only surviving structure of the Remillard Brick Company, once the largest brick manufacturer on the Pacific Coast. During its 103 years of operation, its bricks were used to rebuild Ghirardelli Square, the Palace Hotel, and other San Francisco structures after the 1906 earthquake.
Location: 125 E Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Larkspur
NO. 922 OUTDOOR ART CLUB - The Outdoor Art Club was designed in 1904 by Bernard Maybeck, internationally known American architect. Particularly notable for its unusual roof truss system, the building exemplifies Maybeck's creative use of natural materials. The Club, founded in 1902 by 35 Mill Valley women, is dedicated to preserving the area's natural environment.
Location: 1 W Blithedale Ave at Throckmorton, Mill Valley
NO. 924 CHINA CAMP - One of the earliest, largest, and most productive Chinese fishing villages in California, China Camp was in operation by 1870. The Chinese immigrants and their descendants introduced the use of commercial netting to catch bay shrimp off Point San Pedro. The shrimp were then dried and exported to Chinese throughout the world. China Camp represents the last surviving Chinese shrimp fishing village in California.
Location: At entrance to China Camp Village, China Camp State Park, on N San Pedro Rd, 5.3 mi SE of State Hwy 101, Santa Venetia
NO. 974 GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE - Construction of the bridge started in 1933. Engineer Joseph Strauss and architect Irving Morrow created an extraordinarily beautiful bridge in an extraordinarily beautiful setting. The designs for the Golden Gate Bridge showed the greatest attention to artistic detail, especially on the two streamlined moderne towers. The bridge's 4,200 feet of clear span (from tower to tower) was the longest in the world until 1959. On April 19, 1937, the bridge was completed and the official dedication took place on May 27.
Location: Observation area, N end of bridge
Location: Civic Center, San Rafael (plaque in storage, 3rd floor, County Counsel's Office)
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-91002055