Built in 1941, Camp Lockett was occupied by the military until 1946 and was the last training facility constructed for mounted cavalry units in Southern California. Camp Lockett also was the last military installation in California to house and train African American mounted troops, known as "Buffalo Soldiers," before their units were permanently disbanded as a mounted horse cavalry division. With the departure of the Buffalo Soldier units from Camp Lockett to the war theater of North Africa in 1944, the era of the horse soldier ended.
Registration Date: 10/30/2009
County: San Diego
9150 Chesapeake Road, Campo
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing