MISSION SANTA BARBARA
Santa Barbara Mission was founded December 4, 1786. Portions of five units of its extensive waterworks, built by Indian labor and preserved in this part, are a filter house, Spanish gristmill, sections of aqueducts, and two reservoirs, the larger of which, built in 1806, is used today as part of the city water system. The fountain and lavadero are nearby, in front of the mission, and a dam built in 1807 is located in the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, one and one-half miles up Mission Canyon. Only ruins remain of the mission's pottery kiln, guard house, and tanning vats.
Registration Date: 7/12/1939
City: Santa Barbara
County: Santa Barbara
2201 Laguna St, plaque located in Mission Historical Park, 1,000 ft W at old 1806 Reservoir, Santa Barbara
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing