Hugo Reid, a Scotsman, petitioned the government of Mexico to grant him Rancho Santa Anita. His claim strengthened by his marriage to Victoria, a native Indian of the San Gabriel Mission, he received the grant on April 16, 1841. Immediately upon filing his petition, Reid took possession of the land, started to farm and plant vineyards, and built the first house-the Hugo Reid Adobe-in 1839. In 1875, Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin purchased the rancho, increasing his total ownership of California lands to 40,000 acres, and in 1879 added a wooden wing to the Reid adobe. Both Reid and Baldwin were actively involved in the early development and growth of southern California.
Registration Date: 4/3/1940
County: Los Angeles
Los Angeles State and County Arboretum, 301 N Baldwin Ave, Arcadia
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing