VERNON-BRANNAN HOUSE

Historical Landmark

Description:
Also known as "Site of the Sam Brannan House." The existing building was built in 1854 as the Jones Hotel. It replaced a one-story building owned by Sam Brannan that held Sacramento's first post office, but burned in 1852. The 1854 building became the founding site of the Sacramento Pioneer Association, and in 1855 became Vernon House, a boarding house owned by Miss O.J. Clark. Sam Brannan, a pivotal figure in the California Gold Rush, repurchased the property in 1865, raising the building to Sacramento's new elevated street level and renaming the building Brannan House. Brannan eventually sold the property to Peter Bryding in 1875.

Registration Date: 5/22/1957

Location:
City: Sacramento
County: Sacramento

Directions:
112 J St, Old Sacramento

Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing