COLOMA ROAD AT SUTTER'S FORT
Sutter's Fort, established by Capt. John A. Sutter in August 1839, marked the western end of the Coloma Road. Opened in 1847, this road ran from the fort to Sutter's sawmill at Coloma. Used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the news of the gold discovery to Sutter, it was traversed later by thousands of miners going to and from the diggings. In 1849 the Coloma Road became the route of California's first stageline, established by James E. Birch.
Registration Date: 7/5/1960
NE corner of 28th and L Sts, Sacramento
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing