COWELL LIME WORKS HISTORIC DISTRICTNPS Number: 07001220
The Cowell Lime Works Historic District consists of a concentration of industrial and ranch-related buildings, structures, and objects constructed of wood and limestone masonry that are scattered over an area of about 30 acres just inside the University of California, Santa Cruz main campus entrance. All the resources relate to limestone quarrying and lime production including lime kilns, a cooper-age, supporting barns, and residential buildings, dating to the latter half of the 19th century and early decades of the 20th century. While many of the resources have been altered or have deteriorated, they still create a cohesive historic district conveying both the process and physical characteristics of the historic Cowell Lime Works. The district was listed local level of significance under Criterion A in the area of industry. Throughout its years of operation, 1853 to 1920, the Cowell Lime Works was the largest lime manufacturer in Santa Cruz County providing lime for mortar for brick and stone buildings, fireplaces, chimneys, and foundations in the bay area and for exporting. Lime was also utilized to make plaster to coat interior walls and lime stucco was used to finish exterior walls. Lime was also used in the tanning industry, in paper making, for refining sugar, and as a flux for steel manufac-turing. During the early 1900s, Portland cement replaced lime in building construction because it made a stronger mortar and also could be mixed with aggregate for form concrete. Lime production ceased at this site around 1920.
Registration Date: 11/21/2007
University of California, Santa Cruz Campus. High St. and Coolidge Dr
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing