COLUMBO BUILDINGNPS Number: 07001469
The Colombo Building, designed by James and Merritt Reid, is a two-story commercial structure constructed in 1913 for financier Elise Drexler. The Classical Revival style building is located on a gore lot at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Washington Street in San Francisco’s North Beach/Chinatown neighborhood. The property was listed at the local level of significance under Criterion B for associations with Elise Drexler, a prominent philanthropist and significant property owner in San Francisco during the early twentieth century. Drexler is significant in San Francisco for associations with the women’s rights movement. She quietly undermined prescribed gender roles in San Francisco during the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century. She worked outside the women’s club system as a philanthropist, and as a property owner she supported burgeoning tenant businesses, including A. P. Giannini’s Bank of Italy (later Bank of America). She was a property developer and capitalist and was a public figure during her highly publicized court case challenging the practice of restricting the sale of a woman’s inherited real property based on a woman’s potential or former potential to produce offspring.
Registration Date: 1/31/2008
1-21 Colombus Ave.
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing